Service can mean many different things to many people. If someone asks me why? Because it makes me feel good. I will give you the top 10 reasons here, but I can tell you what students have said about why to consider being a mentor: Dayjah said, “Think about the people in your life that inspired you and take time to say ‘thank you’ and pay it forward so I can succeed and then pay it forward”. Guadalupe said, “Make it possible for Horizons4Girls to continue to make a difference in the life of others as they did for me. Every girl deserves the opportunities Horizons helped me with”.
NOW THOSE TOP 10 REASONS:
#10: It's good for you.
Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
- Reduces stress: Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
- Makes you healthier: Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, and control over one's fate, strengthen the immune system.
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
- The estimated value of a volunteer's time is $15.39 per hour.
- You can test out a career.
As a volunteer you assist in:
- Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
- Building camaraderie and teamwork
- Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
As a volunteer you help:
- Support families (daycare and eldercare)
- Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
- Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
- Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
- Self: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on your self worth.
- Government: Through working with local non-profit agencies, volunteers learn about the functions and operation of our government.
- Community: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
- People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
- Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
- Every person counts!
Volunteer today somewhere!